November 23, 2010

Giving Thanks.






















I always enjoy Thanksgiving. It gives me a brief taste of the holiday spirit soon to arrive with the onset of Christmas. It gives me time to spend with family and friends and enjoy a laugh or two while eating some of my all-time favorite foods like stuffing and pumpkin pie. Most of all, it helps me reflect on all the ways my family and I have been blessed over the past year. Admittedly, I should remember to be thankful each and every day, but that is often not the case.

We have maintained a tradition within our family (thanks to my lovely wife), that on the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving day we go around the dinner table and fill out a piece of paper with 4 or 5 things we are thankful for. Then, one at a time, we read the myriad of ways God has watched over our family. Some revelations, we discover, have been forgotten over the past year. This tradition is a great way to count our many blessings, specifically, and for our children to be reminded of God's faithfulness to us, in both prosperous and more challenging times.

Spend a moment this week doing the same. Think about it. Be reminded. Be intentional. Most important, be thankful.

1 comment:

The Armour Family said...

Cute T-shirt, adorable Ellie, and beautiful pie! We do the same list and all cried while going around the table before our Thanksgiving feast for which we were so very grateful. Wonderful friends who love Jesus was on my list and your family was one in mind. WE MISS YOU!

With a grateful heart, in Christ ALONE, Jennifer for the Armour Clan : )